Saturday, October 16, 2010

Flip This House

Does anyone else watch this show, on A&E??  Hubs and I have spent many Saturdays and Sundays laying around on the couch alllll day watching home improvements shows...this being one of our favs.  I love it.  And, I especially love it when they show the group of guys that flip houses right in our neighborhood.  They've even flipped a house on our street...only 4/5 houses down from ours!  I think it's pretty cool.  ;)  It never gets old watching it with Hubs and being like, 'Babe, look!  There's the town hall!'...or, 'Babe, look!  There's the gas station we go to all the time.'  lol  It's the little things that excite me. 

Anyways...the point of this post if that our house is in some serious need of home improvement.  Well, more like decorating improvement, since there's pretty much, none.  Just ask this girl!  She's seen pictures of our very sadly 'decorated' living room, and can tell you first-hand how Martha Stewart I am NOT.  Haha.  It's pretty sad.

We've actually completely re-arranged our living room for the first time in almost 5 years, so I'm really looking forward to starting to make this place look like a home for once...I mean, it's only been 5 years since we moved in!  It's about damn time.

But, our main problem in our living room (well, it's a big problem to Hubs and I, who collectively have the decorating skills of a dog.  Does that even make sense??  No.  That's how bad our decorating skills are.  Ha.) are these green couches...

(Sorry, this is the best picture I have of the color of our couches...it's actually a little more green in person, esp. when the light hits it.  And, our living rooms looks nothing like this anymore.  We've completely re-arranged and ripped up the carpet, so now there's hardwood floor in the entire room, that is in serious need of being re-finished...but, that's a whole other project.)

Ok, so our problem is....we feel like NOTHING goes with this color green.  And, we need a complete make-over, but unfortunately, we have to keep these couches.  If we had the extra $$, we'd definitely be going out today to buy new ones....neutral ones! 

So, I need your help ladies!  PLEASE!  I'm seriously begging...no shame.  ;)  Our mains concerns are...

{1}  What color walls should we paint our living room??  We need something neutral, but don't want it to be a boring white/cream/beige color. 

{2}  What color throw pillows can I get to bring another color into the room??  Hubs mentioned red/burgundy, but then I was afraid that it would look like Christmas all year round.  Notsocute. 

{3}  Also, what color curtains should we get??  Did I mention that our curtains are also green?!  Ugh, we definitely went overboard on the green when we first moved in.  What were we thinking?!

{4}  And my last main concern is...how the heck do I decorate this room?!?!  lol  I am SO bad at figuring out what pieces go together, what to put on the walls, what colors match....pretty much everything. 

{5}  Oh yeah, AND, we need to get a big area rug once we get the floors re-finished.  Any suggestions on good colors/patterns to go with?

*sigh*  Ok, I think that's it...for now.  If any of you ladies out there can help me at all, I would greatly appreciate it!  Even if you can point me in the direction of a good website/store that can help, I'll take it!  :)

I hope you're all having a great weekend, so far!  I'm trying to get Hubs to go pumpkin picking today, so hopefully I'll have some fun pictures for next week if we end up going today.

5 comments:

Adrienne Gomer said...

You should contact Bryn Alexandra over at http://brynalexandra.blogspot.com/
She does a lot of e-decorating for clients and she does an AMAZING job.

Aly @ Analyze This said...

When you have the baby, I am coming to visit, so we will tackle that while I'm there!

In the mean time, have James lower that picture above the table!!

I think burnt oranges, honey mustards and olives would look best! :)

Can't wait to see the finished floors!

Kendra said...

Im going to PIP on KC

Caitrin said...

I am sorry to say I cant give you any decorating advice- because I am absolutely horrible at decorating too! I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone! I always feel like since I am a girl decorating should just come naturally- but I always have the HARDEST time trying to make my house look cute!

Hilary said...

My suggestion is a burnt orange with the green. We went the sage green/cranberry/navy route because our couches are those colors, and I'm soo tired of it. As far as the wall colors go, you're definitely limited, but instead of picking a beige, try picking a color like the burnt orange (or whatever accent color you go with) and then take that shade lighter and lighter until you get to an off-white that's tinted with your accent color. I hope that makes sense. When I moved back home after college, I had a brown, orange and green bedding set and wanted my walls to be a lighter color. I used the orange color, but went with a cream wall paint that was tinted to that orange. It worked really well!